CIRCLE MIRROR TRANSFORMATION

by Annie Baker

Circle Mirror Transformation was performed in the summer of 2011 in Theatre 11 at Baylor University. This production, accompanied by a written "mini"-thesis is a qualifying production to assess the candidates ability to move on to their second year. I was immediately struck by the plays themes of perception and the importance of the mirrors. Perception became the influencing seed of the play that I explored through my analysis and into my directing. I was greatly influenced by the work of Viola Spolin and her improvisational theatre games. Devoting a significant amount of time to movement and improvisation, the actor's foundation was dictated by an out-to-in style of acting. This idea intrigued me because the play can very easily be read as a psychological journey through the minds of these characters. But it was important for me to externalize this psychology which was discovered through the theatre games.

http://www.wacotrib.com/accesswaco/arts/Acting-exercises-have-dark-effects-in-Baylors-Circle.html